Saturday, August 10, 2024

Daddy's 52 Blue Chevy Truck

 Hi, dear friends. I hope those of you who are sick with covid will feel better soon. This new strain is no joke as they are reporting weeks instead of days to feel better and gain strength. I'm praying for y'all. 


I was listening to a comic talk about his Dad's driving this morning. He was saying how he gets whiplash from his dad flooring the car, then taking his foot off the gas until it slows down,  flooring it again, slow down, rinse and repeat. Lolol. It made me think of my dad's driving. 


All us young kids always rode in the back of his truck. It was always a Chevy,  a new one,  bought every two years and it was usually black. I remember his 52 Chevy was blue, though, and he kept that one longer than any other that I can remember. 


It had great sides that were big enough for us to sit on also. Sometimes, if daddy was just moving the truck in the yard, we would sit on the sides while he slowly moved the truck. 


His driving, while not in the yard, was interesting. We grew up on Morristown Road, named after my 2nd Great grandpappy, William Morris. I've written about him toting a six gun on his hip, which he used to encourage any passersby to wave as they went past his house. 


Daddy would drive us into Jay to the Hardware Store or the 5 and dime if we needed things,  and us kids would all be riding in the back or standing in the back hanging on the lip, if we were on a dirt road.

Now, I know that falling out of a moving truck,whether it was hard Clay roads or pavement would have given us kids some kind of headache or worse, but back then, that wasn't a thought in our minds. We were free flyin' on the back of the truck. 


There's a hill going down Hwy 4 in Jay on the way to Flomaton or the back way to Morristown Road,  or Dykestown Road,  as it's called today. 


Daddy would speed up a lil when approaching the hill and then when he started down the hill, he would push in the clutch, turn off the truck and coast all the way down the hill, till he got just about to the bottom and then he'd turn the truck to on and pop the clutch to start the truck at the bottom of the hill. 


Some of you younguns ain't ever heard of popping a clutch before, but what it does is to create a lurch in the vehicle that would throw us off the back if we weren't sitting down. Lol 


It only took once being thrown down in the bed of the truck for us to be sitting by the time Daddy made the hill and hanging on by the time we got to the bottom. Lol


I think Daddy thought he was saving gas cause he did that EVERY time we encountered that hill. Did I mention that Daddy never drove above 30 or 35 miles per hour. It would always seem to take hours to get to Munson and even longer getting back if it was raining. To Daddy's credit, if it was a downpour, he would cover us with a tarp. Lol


The comic's memory made me think about daddy's driving this morning,  so I had to write it down. I love it when a clear memory comes back, and I can see and feel it in my minds eye and heart. 


I hope that everyone will have a beautiful day. This is a really close google photo of what Daddy's blue truck looked like and the golden hills that greeted me this morning.  Blessings and love to you. Always, Kimmee.









No comments:

Post a Comment