Thursday, October 2, 2014

Grandpa Admiral Dewey Morris

I wanted to share my Grandpa Morris with you all today. I remember him quite well because I was a teenager when he passed. He was born in 1899 and died in 1968. Not a hugely long life as I am only a few years away from this age myself.

He used to come visit often as I was growing up and he was a quiet man who seemed to have a lot of patience as I recall. Our rambunctious ways did not seem to bother him and he would sit quietly and watch us play.

He was sick the whole time that I remember him and he used a cane to walk. His legs were so swollen near the end that he hobbled more than walked but he still made the trip to see up right up to the end. My Grandmother had died in 1954 so he was alone and I think he missed being around children. We were his grandchildren and brought smiles into his life and I am so glad that we did.
I remember well the day he died and laid in his house for 3 days so that all could visit. I was shocked to see nickels on his eyes when we went over and asked my Uncle Andy about them. Uncle Andy told me, that was for the ferryman to help the dead cross over. I was always intrigued by that idea and found out that was a long standing custom in the South but it actually is much older from Greek Times.

Here are a couple of stories I wrote about him after talking to W L Simmons at the Ebenezer Church Homecoming. I took notes and turned what he said into this story that I could keep for my family:-) Hope that you all enjoy getting to know Granddaddy Morris. I remember him best with a mess of fish like the picture and am thankful that he was here so that I could be. Love to all, Kimmee

Information from W.L Simmons at Ebenezer Church Homecoming--Sunday......July 2011

Grandpa Dewey had a store called "The Hinky Dink" located on Morristown Road about 1/2 mile from Aunt Elma's home. When Grandpa would go fishing, he would put big chains on the door to keep the children and Ola out of it. He did not want them taking any merchandise while he was fishing. When W L Simmons was a young man, he, Uncle Andy (Andrew Adair "tadpole") Morris and cousin Earl Morris used to go to Fred Hendrick's traveling wagon store. In those days you could sell a chicken or eggs for enough money to get a candy bar. They would take a chicken, collect the money, then while Mr Hendricks was distracted by the other two boys, W L would open the bottom of the chicken cage and act like he had another chicken to sell. The boys did this three times so that they could all have a candy bar. Years later W L felt bad about what he had done and one day he saw Mr Hendricks. They were just talking and Mr Hendricks asked "Was I a good supervisor?" and W L told Mr Hendricks "You were mean to me." Mr Hendricks had a shocked look and W L said, " Naw, you were a good one, but I have to tell you what we boys did to you when we were young." He then told Mr Hendricks the story of using the chicken three times and Mr Hendricks looked at him and said, "You'll boys didn't do that to me, did you?" W L had to tell him yes and that he was sorry. Mr Hendricks then forgave him and W L felt better about telling him.

Second story...At night when W L, Uncle Andy , and Earl would be coming home late down the trail to Grandpa Deweys store, Grandpa used to love to scare the boys. He used an old metal hat that he would rub on rocks, which produced a scary sound, all the while he was making terrible noises. The boys would say, "did you hear that?" they would listen for a while. Grandpa would do it again and the boys would be so scared that they would run the rest of the way home because it sounded as if someone was dying.

This is the way I remember him with a mess of catfish , ready for frying.

My grandparents wedding picture.. Grandpa Admiral Dewey and Grandma Ola Morris. They were 2nd cousins and there mothers were McCurdy Sisters..

No comments:

Post a Comment