Saturday, January 27, 2018

Childhood Memories

My friend Patti just shared this on her timeline and it immediately took me back to my childhood. My sister Donna and my brother that is gone now, Ernest, used to catch them in Mason jars, look at them for awhile and then let them go.
We also followed them around the yard to see how many we could find. I don't know if kids do things like that anymore. I never see any kids outside here.
What happened to kids riding bikes, playing marbles in the sand, hopscotch, chicken, flying a june bug for a kite, rolling a tire to see how long you could keep it up, skipping rocks, walking on stilts, Yoyo's, balancing a broom in your hand and the many other "toys" of my childhood?
I have a profound sorrow for children today, stuck with their necks in the downward position looking at an Ipad or tablet or phone. I bet they will have neck problems in the future, from that repetitive positioning of the neck.
Remember how much fun it used to be to go outside? I couldn't wait to finish my breakfast and get to exploring.
We had straw houses on the ground and wooden tree houses, we picked bulices, (sp) and sometimes cut a vine and tried rabbit tobacco. We walked down to the Creek mounds and drank water out of the clear trickling creek. I pawed through the garbage looking for reading materials someone else might have thrown away and I always found a True Detective or True Romance to bring home to read.
We tied together twine and made Jacob's ladder, a crows feet or a cup and saucer. We put a large button on a piece of twine and then twisted it in our hands to make a spinner, going back and forth with that for hours. We caught crawdads and visited the cave where the big cat lived. We could smell him and made sure that he was not in it when we went to the gully. We stomped in puddles without shoes on and yes sometimes we got worms but I would stomp in those puddles again, if I had the chance.
Daddy made the best sling shots from a rubber inner tube and we would spend hours perfecting our aim, sometimes at each other. lol .
He made us stilts and we could walk anywhere and every where with them, up hill, up steps, down steps. They were fantastic.
I got a bike for my one gift when I was 8 and I had to get on Daddy's bumper to get on it and off it, If I did not want to crash 
I wish we could send our kids back in time to find out what real fun is. To have that waking moment of excitement when thinking, "what I am going to get into today?" We had such an imagination to see our world and mine was 120 acres down by the river and 10 at the house. Lots of room to pick berries when I got hungry and roam free. God, I am so thankful that I had the childhood I did. It wasn't perfect but it was darn near there when Daddy became the man that he was meant to be..
I did not mean to go one but this video evoked so many memories of the things we played as children and I wish so much that our children today could know what that is like.... I hope that you each get to see the wonder of fireflies and feel the miracle that life offers every day.. Love to all, Kimmee

http://www.fireflyexperience.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment