Friday, September 30, 2022

Remembering The Escambia River

 Good morning dear friends. It's been awhile since I've floated down a lazy river but those memories are still fresh in my mind. 

When we were kids, we lived for Saturday and Sunday, cause that meant swimming. 

Oh, not Pool type swimming but water you couldn't see through, slime on the bottom and an occasional water moccasin or alligator. 

It wasn't that we were any braver than you are about going in watering holes but we had no innate fear of anything. 

I can probably blame that on youth or conditioning, as our childhoods weren't spent in the Ocean where the sand on the beach is white and the water is blue. 

Ours were spent in Cold Creek in Jay or Swimming at Munson, Morris Creek, or one of the lil streams on the way to Ebenezer Chrurch or over in Century at the Gravel pit. 

Goodness, as I think back, we probably should have been more careful than to swim in a place where sand and gravel could have caved in on us as we swam. Lol. 

We were just kids though and like I mentioned, we had no fear of the unknown. We didn't spend our days thinking, what if?

We went for every experience we could soak up. 

I'm not saying we should not have a lil caution in our lives, considering it's a wonder we made it to adulthood but I'm saying, live a lil more. Try a few more things that maybe scare us a lil. Sure, we will be afraid. Our skin may give us goosebumps from the anticipation, but do it. 

Go to Egypt like my friend Liz. Go out and watch a sunrise when it's cold. Go out and let the moonlight seep into your bones or catch the biggest fish and let it go for the next fisherman. 

Live life like today could be your last, because it may be. 


I love you guys. I hope that you all know that. Always, Kimmee


(The pictures are from my sister Donna. My favorite Aunt Catherine at Morris Creek and the Escambia River where Daddy fished and we swam with the mocassins)






No comments:

Post a Comment